||As Chief Timekeeper
of the Market Street Timekeepers, Jack
Wittenmyer led the restoration of the Samuels Clock. Commissioned by
jeweler Albert S. Samuels to coincide with the Panama Pacific Exposition
in 1915, the clock was placed in front of Samuels' store, first at 895
Market Street and later at its current location in front of 856 Market.
The exquisite street clock was built by Joseph Meyer of Seattle. It was
registered as a San Francisco Landmark in 1975. After many years of disrepair,
the Samuels Clock was restored to its original grace and luster and was
unveiled by Mayor Willie Brown late in 2000.